These are the sorts of questions used by QED to trigger those precious
memories. QED usually selects questions from lists such as these to help
clients decide on the structure of the interview that best suits their
to download the full range of possible questions as a Word
1. What is your full name and why were you named it?
2. Were you named after somebody else?
3. Did you have a nickname as you were growing up?
4. If you did, what was it and why did they call you that?
5. Have you had other nicknames as an adult?
6. What do family members call you now?
7. Where were you born and when?
8. Do you remember hearing your grandparents describe their lives? What
did they say?
9. Do you remember your great-grandparents? What do you know about them?
10. Who was the oldest person you can remember in your family as a child?
What do you remember about them?
11. Do you remember your family discussing world events and politics?
12. Was there a chore you really hated doing as a child?
13. What would you consider to be the most important inventions that have
been made during your lifetime?
14. How is the world now different from what it was like when you were
15. What kinds of books did you like to read?
16. Do you remember having a favourite nursery rhyme or bedtime story?
What was it?
17. Do you ever remember not having enough food to eat because times were
hard for your family?
18. What were your favourite toys and what were they like?
19. What were your favourite childhood games?
20. What were your schools like?
21. How did you get to school?
22. What was your favourite subject in school and why?
23. What subject in school was always the easiest for you?
24. What was your least favourite subject in school and why?
25. Who was your favourite teacher and why were they special?
26. How do your fellow classmates from school remember you best?
27. What school activities and sports did you participate in?
28. Did you and your friends have a special hang-out where you liked to
spend time? Where was it and what did you do there?
29. Were you ever given any special awards for your studies or school
30. How many years of education have you completed?
31. Do you have a college degree? If so, what was your field of study?
32. Did you get good grades?
33. Did you like school?
34. What did you like the most and the least about it?
35. What did you usually wear to school? Describe it.
36. Were there any fads during your youth that you remember vividly?
37. How old were you when you started dating?
38. Do you remember your first date? Describe the circumstances.
39. Name a good friend that you have known for the longest period of time?
How many years have you been friends?
40. Has there ever been anyone in your life that you would consider to
me your kindred spirit or soul mate? If so, who were they and why did
you feel a special bond to them?
41. How did you meet the person that you would later marry? Describe them?
42. Do you remember where you went on the first date with your spouse?
43. How long did you know them before you got married?
44. Describe your wedding proposal.
45. When and where did you get married?
46. Describe your wedding ceremony. Who was there?
47. Did you have a honeymoon? If so, where did you go?
48. How would you describe your spouse? What do (did) you admire most
49. How long have you been married (or were you married)?
50. What wise advice would you give to a grandchild on their wedding day?
51. How did you find out that you were going to be a parent for the first
52. How many children did you have all together?
53. What were their names, birth dates and birthplaces?
54. Do you remember anything that your children did when they were small
that really amazed you?
55. What is one of the most unusual things that one of your children did
regularly when they were small?
56. What was the funniest thing you can remember that one of your children
said or did?
57. If you had it to do all over again, would you change the way you raised
your family? How?
58. What did you find most difficult about raising children?
59. What did you find most rewarding about being a parent?
60. Did you spoil any of your children? How?
61. Were you a strict or lenient parent?
62. Did you find that you had to treat each of your children differently?
If so, why?
63. How did you first hear that you were a grandparent and how did you
feel about it?
64. What advice do you have for your children and grandchildren?
65. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
66. What was your first job?
67. What kinds of jobs have you had?
68. How did you decide on your career?
69. Did you make enough money to live comfortably?
70. How long did you have to work each day at your job?
71. How old were you when you retired?
72. What were the hardest choices that you ever had to make? Do you feel
like you made the right choices?
73. Who was the person that had the most positive influence on your life?
Who were they and what did they do?
74. Is there a person that really changed the course of your life by something
that they did?
75. Who were they and what did they do?
76. Do you remember someone saying something to you that had a big impact
on how you lived your life? What was it?
77. How would you describe yourself politically?
78. Are you Labor or Liberal and why?
79. What wars have been fought during your lifetime? How did you feel
80. If you served in the military, when and where did you serve and what
were your duties?
81. If you served in the military, were you ever injured in the line of
duty? What were the circumstances and what were your injuries?
82. What Prime Minister have you admired the most and why?
83. As you see it, what are the biggest problems that face our nation
and how do you think they could be solved?
84. How tall are you?
85. What color was your hair as a young child and then as an adult?
86. What color are your eyes?
87. Where have you lived as an adult? List the places and the years that
you lived there.
88. Why are you living where you are today?
89. Do you wish you lived somewhere else (If so, where would it be)?
90. Describe your general health.
91. What major illnesses or health problems do you remember having?
92. Do you have any health problems that are considered hereditary in
nature? If so, what are they?
93. What do you do regularly for exercise?
94. Do you have any bad habits now or in the past? What were they?
95. Have you ever been the victim of a crime? What happened?
96. Have you ever been in a serious accident?
97. Has anyone ever saved your life? Describe.
98. Have you ever saved anyone else's life? Describe.
99. Have you ever been hospitalized? If so, what for?
100. Have you ever had surgery? If so, what for?
101. If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
102. Have you ever had an experience that you would consider to be super-natural
or psychic? Did you ever know something was going to happen before it
actually did? What was it?
103. What do you usually dream about?
104. What church, if any, do you attend regularly?
105. Describe your religious beliefs.
106. Do you believe in an after life?
107. What was the most stressful experience that you ever lived through?
What helped you get through it?
108. What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you personally?
109. What kinds of musical instrument (s) have you learned to play?
110. Would you consider yourself creative?
111. What things have you made that others have enjoyed?
112. How would you describe your sense of humor?
113. What is the funniest practical joke you ever played on anyone?
114. What activities have you especially enjoyed as an adult?
115. What are your hobbies?
116. What did you like to do when you were not working?
117. What is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to you?
118. What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
119. Have you ever met any famous people? Describe what happened.
120. What organizations and groups have you belonged to?
121. Have you ever won any special awards or prizes as an adult? What
were they for?
122. Describe a time and place when you remember feeling truly at peace
and happy to be alive.
123. Where were you and what were you doing?
124. What is the most beautiful place you have ever visited and what was
125. What is the longest trip that you have ever gone on? Where did you
126. What has been your favourite vacation? Where did you go and why was
127. What was the favourite place you ever visited and what was it like?
128. What pets have you had?
129. Do you have a favourite story about a pet? What is it?
130. Is there anything you have always wanted to do, but haven't?
1. What is your favourite style of music?
2. What is your favourite musical instrument?
3. Who is your favourite musical group?
4. What is your favourite song?
5. Who is your favourite singer?
6. Who is your favourite movie star?
7. What is your favourite movie?
8. Who is your favourite artist?
9. What is your favourite painting?
10. Who is your favourite poet?
11. What is your favourite poem?
12. What is your favourite TV program?
13. Who is your favourite author?
14. What is your favourite book?
15. What is your favourite season?
16. What is your favourite tree?
17. What is your favourite flower?
18. What is your favourite holiday?
19. What is your favourite colour?
20. What is your favourite sport?
21. Who is your favourite athlete?
22. What is your favourite animal?
23. What is your favourite meal?
24. What is your favourite fruit?
25. What is your favourite vegetable?
26. What is your favourite sweet?
27. What is your favourite biscuit?
28. What is your favourite drink?
29. What is your favourite restaurant?
30. What is your favourite flavor of ice cream?
31. What is your favourite board game?
32. What is your favourite card game?
If you had to pick a label for members of your family (your spouse,
children, parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts & uncles,
cousins), who best fits the following descriptions?
The best cook; The hardest-worker; the quietest; the best memory; the
best gardener; the funniest; the best-looking; the animal lover; the most
politically-active; the most mischievous; the calmest; the most athletic;
the most intelligent; the most educated; the best career; the most creative;
the wildest lifestyle; the most sociable; the biggest tease; the best
housekeeper; the most reclusive; the most colorful; the most relaxed;
the most frugal; the most generous; the tallest; the shortest; the best
Who was the first ancestor in your family to immigrate? When?
Was there a specific reason why your ancestors immigrated?
How and where did they get the money to travel?
When your ancestors immigrated, did they do so with other relatives? Who
Who received the relatives when they first arrived in this country?
Do you know the name of the ship and the port of entry?
Do you know if your immigrant ancestors were naturalized? If so, by what
court and when?
Do you know the names of the cities or towns in Australia to which your
Life in the Australia:
What occupations did your immigrant ancestors have when they first arrived?
Did they belong to organisations, churches, or other groups?
Did they live in other towns or cities in Australia?
Was there a cousins club or family circle?
Were there special family traditions that have been handed down?
Were there family recipes?
Were any heirlooms brought along with your family?
Family personal records, letters, etc.
Wills, Deed, etc.
Certificates, Diplomas, Awards, etc.
Photographs, family movies, audio tapes, etc.
Books of Remembrance
Diaries, Family Genealogies, Family Histories, etc.
Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Records
Newspaper clippings, scrapbooks
Cemetery and Funeral Director's Records